Fruit flies are a particularly disturbing pest. Because they are found in the areas of the home where food is prepared, homeowners often have to work hard to make sure these areas are kept sanitary. Luckily, many home remedies offer pesticide alternatives and significantly decrease the fruit fly population. Some of these home remedies may work better than others, depending on home, climate, and other factors. Homeowners should be sure to try several options to eliminate their fruit fly problem.
- Fruit flies dislike basil. Homeowners shoul place potted basil on the windowsills leading into the kitchen to deter fruit fly entry.
- Sprinkle dry soap powder around garbage cans and other potential fruit fly breeding spots. The dry soap works to repel fruit flies.
- Homeowners should fill a small saucer with white wine and a pinch of detergent. Leave the saucer in areas where fruit flies are prevalent. Fruit flies will be attracted to and drink the wine. Fortunately for homeowners, but unfortunately for the flies, this mixture will induce ‘gut rot’ in fruit flies, killing them.
- Fruit flies also dislike lavender. Homeowners can use lavender in several different ways to deter these pests. Hang lavender around the house in bunches by open doors and windows; also, use lavender oil in burners to repel the pests.
- If you have fruit trees in your yard, the falling fruit is likely a haven for fruit flies. To combat this, create a concoction of 2 ounces beer, 1 ½ quarts of water, 4 chopped jalapenos, and 2 cloves of garlic. Boil together for 5 minutes and let the mixture sit for 24 hours. Then, add ½ cup of vinegar to the mix. Strain, and place the liquid into a spray bottle. Spray the leaves of trees surrounding your house. This will keep fruit flies at bay.
- Hang sticky fly strips in areas highly trafficked by fruit flies.
- Fill an old jar halfway with apple cider. Punch holes in the jar lid, and replace it over the jar. The fruit flies will enter, but will not be able to escape.
- Fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol, and spray the mist around your kitchen. Also, spray this mixture on the flies directly; it kills them and is much safer to use inside than an insecticide.
Homeowners have been fighting fruit flies for many hundred years. Use some of these tried and true methods to combat fruit fly infestations. Some may be more effective than others, so try multiple alternatives.
Fruit Flies- An Invasion of Sheer Numbers
Fruit flies can be brought into homes in the fruits and vegetables purchased at the grocery store. They are especially common during late summer or early fall months. Fruit flies will breed wherever fermenting or rotting food can be found, including garbage disposals, kitchen sink drains, empty trash containers, kitchen sink drains, or even mops.
Fruit Flies are Very Disgusting Household Pests
- Fruit flies breed very rapidly
- Fruit fly larvae will fully mature within ten days
- In order to eliminate fruit fly infestations, all potential breeding sites need to be found and eliminated
- Fruit Flies can lay as many as 500 eggs!