The Insanity of Fleas
Getting rid of dog fleas isn’t a matter of how
as much as a matter of how quickly
. Nothing is quite as pathetic as seeing a poor pooch wiggling around in discomfort thanks to dog flea bites... that is, until the same fleas start biting the pet owner! Finding the right flea control
products that work quickly and effectively is the key to staying on top of a nasty flea problem. There are several different forms of flea control products, including sprays, powders, chemicals, special collars, soaps and shampoos. Finding the right flea control product will depend mostly on how big the flea problem is, as well as where the dog may have been infested. Fleas also happen to be one of those pests that can lay eggs underneath the skin of their prey (your dog unfortunately!). This can result in an entirely new flea issue within a few weeks of getting rid of all the adult fleas.
Shampoo Products for Your Pet
Some of the following products are great options for flea control:
- Bio Spot Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Puppies - A pet shampoo that can kill fleas, ticks and lice. The shampoo utilizes an insect growth regulator (IGR) that targets flea eggs and younger fleas before they become reproducing - and biting - adult fleas. The product is generally effective for about 28 days before needing to be reapplied if the flea issue continues.
- Sentry Flea Shampoo for Puppies and Toy Breeds - A sweet smelling flea shampoo option that is gentle enough for the sensitive skin of puppies and small dog breeds. The product is also safe for use around children compared to chemically based shampoo options.
- Sergeant’s Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo - This product has a strong conditioning element to help your dog’s coat while still effectively killing fleas. It is great for dogs with more sensitive skin, thanks to the nourishing oatmeal. The product is generally only effective for about 10 days.
Alternatives to the Evil Bath
As nasty as a flea problem is, some pet owners are a little reluctant to dunk Fido in the tub. There are many drying effects of shampoos that would actually cause more problems for a pet than the fleas. In these cases, pet owners need to find alternative, non-shampoo flea control products. Some of the following dog flea control products are great at killing the existing fleas or preventing the eggs from developing into adults:
- Zodiac Flea and Tick Sponge-On for Dogs and Cats - Whether a pet owner has a super-sized dog that is impossible to just plop in the sink or a small one that is adverse to being soaking wet, this sponge-on treatment option is a great solution. The product can spot-clean areas where you see your pup nipping at, yet the actual flea seems no where to be found.
- Bio Spot Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs and Puppies - A collar with up to five months of flea control and protection. The product works instantly but continuously throughout the life of a flea.
- Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder - This powder is a great dry option to apply to pets, bedding and other areas of the home.
Finding the right type of flea control product that works for a homeowner, as well as his or her pet, often depends on the type of environment the pet is living in. Collars work great as a long-term solution for homes near wooded areas that are subject to more flea issues. Powders that can be applied to a pet - and that are safe to apply to bedding - can be great for homes with multiple pet types.
Cautions and Concerns
Pet owners should be sure to read all of the instructions on the products. Products that are marketed as completely organic and safe may still only be safe for dogs over the age of 12 weeks. Other products should not be applied until a specific amount of time after a bath, when the natural oils in a dogs coat have been restored. Products also typically state if they are specifically designed for dogs and/or cats. A pet owner should never assume that a flea product meant for cats will be equally effective on their canine friend. It is also important to not mix flea extermination solutions by overusing various flea control products.