products are big business. With as many as 750 different species of ants in the United States alone, there are literally hundreds of ant removal products available. Ant infestations range from purely annoying to completely damaging (and costly) for the homeowner. Here, we will go over some of the ant control products currently on the market.
Carpenter Ant Control Products
Carpenter ants nest in damp locations (often in water-damaged wood around homes) and then make their way into your house to find food crumbs. Many people try home remedies to eliminate their carpenter ant problem, only to find that they have a large colony requiring a more powerful extermination plan.
- Termidor SC is a professional-grade insecticide. It is used outside the home to spray around cracks, door frames, window frames, and anywhere else the carpenter ants may be getting in. This is an outdoor product only.
- Delta Dust is an effective indoor ant control product as long as you know where the ants are nesting. Delta Dust is applied using a special hand duster that allows you to get the powder inside walls and other crevices where the ants are living. Be sure to dust lightly so as not to disturb the colony.
- Advance 375 A Select Ant Bait is a better plan if you are unsure of the location of the ants' nest. This product is also good if you are trying to avoid too many harsh insecticides. As an added bonus, Advance 375 A Select Ant Bait also works on a variety of other ants like Argentine, big-headed, fire, pavement, pharaoh and more.
Fire Ant Control Products
Fire ants, often called killer ants or red ants, have a nasty little bite that makes them an excellent candidate for extermination. Since fire ants are usually more of an outdoor pest, some of the most effective products are lawn- and garden-based.
- Maxforce Fire Ant Granular Bait has both an outdoor and an indoor option. Containing a special blend of foods, combined with a delayed-action stomach poison, this ant control product allows time for worker fire ants to carry the bait back to the queen and other ants before dying. For the best outdoor results, the manufacturer suggests spreading the granules every fall and spring, and also spot-treating problem areas throughout the year. For indoor directions, it suggests leaving small mounds of the granules in areas that cannot be reached by pets or children.
- Maxforce Ant Bait Stations use a similar chemical process, as it is granular bait, but in a form that is more usable for indoor applications. The individual bait traps can be put around the home, out of the reach of children, and are cleaner and easier to dispose of than the granules.
Sweet Feeding Ants
Black ants, odorous house ants, Argentine ants, pharaoh ants, and other sweet-tooth craving ants are easily baited with a deadly mixture of syrup and poison.
- Terro Liquid Ant Bait is a common ant control product easily found in most department stores. The ants feed off of the liquid bait containing Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate (borax), carry it off to the nest, and die. Several applications may be required, but it is an inexpensive option if you just need something to try. Terro has several variations of this product so find the one that is right for you.
- Eco Exempt-G Granules is a broad-spectrum pest killer and is made for use with organic gardening programs. So, if you just have no idea what type of ant or insect you are dealing with and you do not want to spray chemicals all over your lawn and home, this is a good place to start. It provides widespread pest control, including many species of ants, and it does it all with a lovely botanical scent.